Wednesday, October 26, 2005

THINK I'LL KILL MY RADIO.

This is a curious new thingy. Pandora, presumably the radio box of all evils, invites you to enter the name of a band or a song and then starts a radio station based on that. Very last.fm, I know, but I didn't have to sign up for this and then play it loads of songs while we got to know each other. That's aural foreplay in anyone's book.

Unfortunately it's only free for 10 hours, after which it costs $36 per year or £20.21 as i type (yadda yadda yadda, subject to change, you WILL lose your home). This being the internet though, someone's sure to come along, comprehensively rip it off, cover it in adverts and then make it free of charge.

It's good that it will find you songs you've never heard, but disconcerting that in theory you won't hear anything outside of your comfortable little niche. That said, I used The Smiths as one of my starting points and it didn't take long to turn me on to ZZ Top and Lenny Kravitz album tracks. I think the engine might be French.

Fun to play with, though. Thanks to Ralph for alerting me to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home