Tuesday, October 11, 2005

CLAP YOUR HANDS SAY... MAYBE.

Seems that everyone's on about Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
at the mo'. Downloaded their debut album courtesy of my friend and stellar web celebrity who, on account of me not wanting to get him into all manner of trouble I shall refer to as Lovely Feller Paul. Thanks, Pauly.

Based on a couple of listens it's all doing what it should. Vocally, Mr Clap is somewhere between David Byrne and Tom Verlaine. The backing jangle comes on like a more-upbeat Velvet Underground/Galaxie 500/Luna. There's a regrettable outbreak of Bob Dylan-style harmonica on 'Details of the War', but I'll forgive them that. Just don't do it again.

There's a thing with some albums, whereby you can tell right off that they're going to be bothering you to play them over and over again. I think that's what I've got here. There's also the fact that I don't want to miss the boat quite as spectacularly as I did with The Arcade Fire. I'm not going to have kids laughing at me in the street again. Well, at least not about music.

Only time will tell whether they'll get played so many times that I go to Reveal and actually buy it. I'll keep them posted.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pauly said...

people in the office are for some reason comparing Clap Your Hands unfavourably with Arcade Fire...

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll check them out, though normally if people tell me something is good (as many have), I'll subconsciously strive to hate it.

Tom J

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home